|This article is about the location. You may be looking for the song.|
What happens in Empire City, never sleeps.
Empire City is a metropolis located in the Empire State, next to the state of Jersey. It was first mentioned in "Story for Steven", and made its debut in "Same Old World". Empire City made a additional appearance in "Mr. Greg".
"Story for Steven"
"Same Old World"
After Greg becomes rich, him and Steven decide where to go for a vacation. Greg tells Steven that they could go to Empire City, and they decide to go there along with Pearl. They stay at Le Hotel, and leave the next morning.
- It is the first major city featured in the show.
- Empire City is the show equivalent of New York City, but it also incorporates elements of Paris, Las Vegas, and Sydney.
- "Empire City" is a common nickname for New York City. The name has been used for many other fictional cities based on or referencing New York.
- The slogan "What happens in Empire City, never sleeps" is a combination of the respective popular slogans of New York City, "the city that never sleeps", and of Las Vegas, "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas".
- Real-world landmarks appear to exist in Empire City, including the Empire State Building and Times Square. There is also a notable building that resembles the Eiffel Tower – this could alternatively reference the tower at Paris Las Vegas.
- The shape of the city on the peninsula and its adjoining harbor resemble that of the real-life Circular Quay, the only difference being the positioning city's skyline.
- Real-world boroughs and neighborhoods appear to exist in Empire City, including Brooklyn and The Bowery, both mentioned in the episode "Mr. Greg".
- Issue 1 of the Steven Universe comic series reveals that the city has a wildlife rehabilitation center.