|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the titular character.|
You're like the cotton candy of the jungle!
The episode opens with the Gems and Steven trekking through the desert, littered with large sandstone columns which erect and dissipate at random. Garnet explains that the "power in the structure has turned aimless" and thus, was raising stand alone structures at random. Suddenly, a loud roar interrupts their conversation and the Gems run off to investigate, leaving an exhausted Steven behind. Shortly thereafter, a mystical pink lion with glowing eyes approaches Steven. Though initially startled, Steven quickly realizes the Lion means no harm and begins to pet and converse with it.
Not too long after, however, a large explosion captures their attention. The Gems approach after defeating the monster which held the Gem powering the structure known as "the Desert Glass", a red velvet pillow encrusted with a large Green gem (which Amethyst claimed as hers since she delivered the killing blow). Pearl notes that she should take care of as dropping it on sand would "rebuild everything". Upon seeing Steven with the Lion they quickly take up arms, only for Steven to assure them the Lion means no harm. Steven says his goodbyes as they exit the Desert and returns to the Crystal Temple.
Back at the Temple, Amethyst and Steven nap under a pillow fort, topped with the Desert Glass, when he hears scratching from the door. Much to his surprise, the pink lion appears at his doorstep. Steven then attempts to play games with the Lion, but to no avail, as the lion appears largely apathetic to all of his games. Slightly disheartened, Steven believes he knows of something the Lion "has gotta like". He then brings him to Fish Stew Pizza which Steven enters hoping to brag about his Lion. Inside, Onion and Ronaldo Fryman are eating while Kofi and Kiki work the counter. Steven lets them know of his lion, which excites Ronaldo while Kiki is very much reserved. Upon exiting the pizzeria, they find no such lion (though Ronaldo initially believed it to be invisible), which elicits a bad lion pun from Kiki and an unsettling death stare from Onion. Steven finds the lion back at his home, getting there just as he tears the door down and it becomes apparent that he is after the Desert Glass. This revelation angers and disheartens Steven, who becomes frustrated with the lion and subsequently throws the pillow off the balcony and onto the beach.
The ground suddenly begins to quake and massive sandstone columns begin to erect around the gem. The Gems run outside and Pearl explains that the Desert Glass is attempting to "rebuild its castle". Meanwhile, the pillow engenders a massive sandstorm and wall which not even Garnet is able to penetrate. Steven, being caught inside, realizes that he must take it from atop the central tower. Upon almost reaching the top, the sand structure morphs and forces Steven to fall from great height, only to be caught by the lion. Steven realizes the lion only wanted to protect them from the pillow, and the lion uses a magical roar to destroy the sand structures around them. They then burst through the top of the tower and retrieve the Gem and all the sand structures dissipate shortly thereafter. Pearl reprimands Amethyst for not "bubbling" the Desert Glass in the first place and Amethyst states that, in her defense, she forgot. Steven indirectly asks the Gems if he can keep the Lion, which they (specifically Garnet) indirectly agree to.
- Lion (debut)
- Ronaldo Fryman
- Kofi Pizza (debut)
- Kiki Pizza
- Desert Glass (debut, antagonist)
- The Desert (debut)
- Beach City
- It is revealed in this episode by Amethyst that Gems do not have to sleep. They can, however, enjoy it.
- A three-week hiatus occurred after this episode.
- When Pearl asks if they're really letting Steven keep Lion, Garnet replies that "We kept Amethyst". This joke is later revealed to be a legitimate statement, referencing where Amethyst was made.
- When Steven told Ronaldo that the Lion was pink, he replied with "How can it be invisible and pink?", a reference to the Invisible Pink Unicorn.
- The title is similar to the 1977 Disney film, Pete's Dragon.
- On Ronaldo's laptop, you can see the picture he took of Steven in "Cat Fingers", and it is also seen on Ronaldo's real Keep Beach City Weird Tumblr page.
- It is shown that Onion hates to be lied to. This can be seen again in "Political Power", when he was about to assault Bill Dewey for lying about the power outage.
- Garnet's ending line, "We kept Amethyst." besides applying to her comparatively wild behavior, indicates that Amethyst joined the Crystal Gems after the others, and she was revealed in "On the Run" to have been brought into the fold after the Rebellion, as a newly-formed Gem.
- The scene where Garnet wipes the sweat off Steven, the middle finger part of her glove disappears when she curls her fingers, then reappears when she uncurls them.
- There are many scenes in which Lion has normal eyes, but still contain the glow around them.
- After Steven throws the Desert Glass onto the beach, he is not shown standing on the porch in the next scene, but rather is missing altogether. He then reappears in the next camera shot.
- This could also be because of the distance between the Desert Glass and Steven's house. If drawn, he would be awfully small looking on the porch.
- The window to the right side of the beach house appears to be missing once Pearl announces that the Desert Glass was rebuilding its castle.
View the episode's transcript here.