The Unfamiliar Familiar is the first book of the series The Spirit Morph Saga. It follows the story of the female protagonist, Lisa, and her adventures with her talking falcon "familiar", Archimicarus. It was first shown in the episode "Marble Madness".
The book is about a girl named Lisa who is unaware of her capabilities as a witch. She has a talking falcon, Archimicarus, as her familiar. She is on a quest to find her father Plinkman, kidnapped by a mysterious one-eyed man.
"It's about this girl named Lisa, and she's a witch! - I mean, she doesn't know she's a witch at first, and she has a familiar, which is sorta like this spirit companion everyone in the world has, and hers is a talking falcon named Archimicarus! Anyways, she goes on this quest to find her father after he's kidnapped by the mysterious one-eyed man."
- Main article: The Spirit Morph Saga#Characters
- Lisa - main protagonist
- Archimicarus- Lisa's familiar
- Plinkman - Lisa's father (deceased)
- Unknown One-Eyed Man - main antagonist
Chapter One: "The Morning Thief"
"Lisa awoke with a start, the echoes of her dreams still dancing in her mind, the low rumble of thunder murmured through the quiet house. The house was deathly still, the only sound Lisa could hear was her own heartbeat pounding in her ears. The hairs on her neck tingled when suddenly-"
- Archimicarus' name may have been derived from the names "Archimedes", an ancient Greek physicist, engineer, and astronomer, and "Icarus", a character in Greek mythology best known for his failed attempt to fly.
- The Unfamiliar Familiar and its premise are similar to the novel Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman.